I am a little insane when it goes to car safety for my family.
So when I head to search for a car at a dealership like Sandoval GMC Buick here in Columbus, the first thing I think about is how safe the car actually is for my family. There are things we now take for granted because all cars have these features now but what do you really know about the safety features of your car? Check out some of these features below:
- Antilock breaks: ABS allows the driver to retain steering control while braking, so that the car can be maneuvered around an obstacle, if necessary. Before ABS, your breaks would lock up when braking hard and you wouldn’t be able to steer the car correctly.
- Traction control: My current car is the first one I’ve ever used with traction control. This electronically controlled system limits wheel spin during acceleration so that the drive wheels have maximum traction. Works great and helps so much.
- Safety Belts: While safety belts have always saved lives, any new enhancements are awesome. One of my favorites is how seatbelts instantly retract the belts to take up slack during a frontal impact.
- LATCH: All vehicles are now required to have the LATCH system to make child-seat installation easier and more secure. The system features built-in lower anchors and top tether attachment points for LATCH-compatible child safety seats. We make sure to use the LATCH system anytime we install a car seat onto any car.
- Tire-Pressure Monitors: Underinflated tires can hurt handling and fuel economy. They can even lead to a blowout as underinflated tires are more susceptible to damage and wear. So as of October 2006, all cars must have monitors. It has come in handy for us, especially when it starts to get cold.
There are plenty of other features but these are some of the more prominent ones that have happened over the last couple of years. What features have you come to love in your car?