Whether you have a new car or bought it used, it is important to take car of it so it can take care of you. You pay thousands (or so) for this car and your trust it to take you where you need to go right? Well, the car trusts you to take car of it so it can take you where you need to go for the long haul. I sometimes have a hard time remembering to do the simple things for my own car so I wanted to share my checklist of things to do to extend the life of your car.
Things you can do to extend the life of your Car
- Change the oil when needed: The recommended mileage between oil changes is 3,000 – 5,000 miles (or 3-6 months depending on how you drive and the oil used). Making sure you change it on time can make sure you drive your car well into its 200,000 mile.
- Flush fluids every 2 years: This refers to the power steering fluid, brake fluid, and cooling system anti-freeze. Change transmission fluid & filter at least every 50,000 miles. Not doing so can mess up the engine because older fluids don’t lubricate (or cool) as well.
- Rotate your tires and get new ones when you need them: Even wear and tear is important for the life of the tires so rotating them makes sure you get that. Also, changing them when needed helps keep from damaging other parts of the car.
- Wash your car: You may not think this is important but it helps get extra junk off the car that could damage it, such as salt and debris. You never know what could be eating away at the side of your car.
- Drive less: If you can avoid starting your car for a short drive, do it. Also, try not to drive a cold car, it can have a bad effect on everything including the muffler.
Are there some other things you do to extend the life of your car? Let me know! It is important to take car of your car and I’d love to know other things that can help.