College is often a stressful time for both students and their parents. If you are a student or a parent of a student, the last thing you want to worry about is the commute to and from campus. You need a reliable car that is not going to leave you stranded on the day of your big exam. Below is a list of 5 of the best new cars for college students.
- Kia Forte ($16,800): The Kia Forte comes standard with a 2 liter for cylinder engine with available manual or automatic transmission. Kia does offer a 1.6-liter turbocharged engine, but that pushes the price over $20,000. The Forte offers handsome styling, common tech features and good fuel economy (up to 29 MPG city and 37 highway). More information on the Kia Forte.
- Chevrolet Cruze ($17.000): With attractive styling and an impressive list of standard features, the Chevy Cruze is a nice choice for college students. The Cruze comes standard with a 1.6 liter 4-cylinder and is available with either a manual or automatic transmission. For 2018, Chevy also offers a 1.6-liter turbodiesel motor with an impressive 30 MPG city and 48 MPG highway, albeit at a premium over the base model ($25,000).
- Hyundai Veloster ($18,500): Hyundai has given the Veloster a facelift for 2019; it is one of the best-looking cars on this list. This three-door hatchback comes with either a 2-liter 4-cylinder or 1.6-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine. The Veloster is quite sporty and features better performance and handling than other cars on this list, but it comes at the expense of fuel economy.
- Honda Civic ($19,000): The Civic starts at just under $20,000 and comes with the well-known Honda reliability. With sharp styling and impressive interior materials, this is a great car for the commuting student. The Civic offers the most configuration options of other cars and this list, meaning the options list is long and can be costly. Top end Civic models can top $36,000.
- Volkswagen Jetta ($18,500): Volkswagen has completely redesigned the Jetta for the 2019 model year and it is stunning. It features a 1.4-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine paired with your choice of a manual or automatic transmission. Fuel economy is very good at up to 30 MPG city and 40 MPG highway. The Jetta also comes with common tech features such as Bluetooth audio, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto.