Working from home can be incredibly stressful under any circumstances – however, doing so as a busy mom can sometimes feel impossible. After all, it means that you have to learn to work alongside distractions, such as the sound of your kids watching their favorite show for the 100th time. On top of this, you have to ensure that you continue to do the job to the best of your ability while maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
Thankfully, there are various ways in which you can make working from home easier. For example, you could ensure that you put strict boundaries in place when it comes to work – and do not work longer than your contracted hours. You can also invest in a pair of noise-canceling headphones to block out any distractions. Furthermore, you should also try to create the perfect work from home space – that will allow your efficiency and productivity levels to soar.
However, if you don’t have a spare room in your house that can be quickly turned into an office – creating a WFH space is easier said than done – though it is not impossible. With that in mind, here are some top tips that you can use to create the perfect work from home space.
- Find the right space in your home to set up your office. Ideally, you should avoid using your bedroom as this could lead to you associating the bedroom with feelings of stress and frustration, which in turn will affect your sleep schedule. Instead, consider areas such as your dining room.
- Place your desk close to the window. This is because natural light can help you feel more focused – increasing your productivity levels. When placing your desk, ensure that the glare from the sun will not be on your eyes or screen.
- While desk chairs can be expensive (and their average price has definitely increased since WFH became more popular), ensure that you invest in a quality desk chair for your home office. This is due to the simple fact that a poor-quality chair can lead to you experiencing neck, back, and shoulder problems further down the line. Furthermore, you must be comfortable when working!
- Remember that your work from home space doesn’t need to be bare – you can make it a little more interesting by hanging up dynamic artwork such as a Wood Map. Not only will this make the space look better, but it gives you a cool and professional background for zoom meetings or video conference calls.
- Write down a list of the goals you are working towards and display them clearly on your wall. For example, you could hang a notice board or whiteboard on the wall. That way, whenever you are feeling frustrated or as though you lack direction, you can remind yourself what you are working towards.
- Install shelves or under-desk storage so that you can keep on track of your important folders, papers, and documents and reduce the clutter that would otherwise stand in the way of your productivity.